Kyle National School – Healthy Lunch Policy
The aim of this policy is to ensure children eat a healthy, well-balanced lunch, thus promoting a healthy lifestyle. By encouraging healthy eating patterns we educate children for later life.
Health Lunch Options
We encourage children to choose from the following foods regularly
- Pitta bread
- Raw vegetables
- Cheese, lean meat, eggs, fish, peanut butter, salad
- Fruit Juice
- Yoghurt Drinks
We recommend foods such as:
- Fresh Fruit
- Yogurt or Yogurt drinks
- Wholegrain/Digestive biscuits
Roles and Responsibilities:
Role of Parent:
- Provide a healthy well-balanced lunch for children
- Encourage healthy eating
- Inform the school of any child’s special dietary needs
- To implement school policy by not allowing their children to bring treats during the week
Role of Children:
- To eat their lunch
- To bring home any uneaten lunch
- To help make their lunches and remind parents of the healthy Lunch Policy
Role of School:
- To promote and encourage healthy eating
- If children bring treats to school they will not be allowed to eat them while in school.
- A copy of the Healthy food Pyramid is on display in every classroom and is referred to regularly.
- As part of the Social Personal and Health Education curriculum reasons for healthy eating will be discussed with the children regularly by staff.
- A healthy eating week will be held in the school
Teachers will continue to give children a sweet treat on occasions in recognition of work done, improvements in work or behavior and in an effort to promote positive behavior. Sweet treats use prudently by teachers will not interfere with the health of the children.